Mosaics and mosaic making information from The joy of shards Mosaics Resource


mosaic cross

Isidore built the chapel onto the back (east) wall of the house between 1953 and1956. Around the same time he also built a "summerhouse", separate from the house, creating a second courtyard (the black courtyard) behind the chapel. The artistic skills he had developed in the inside and outside of the house now began to really take flight. Every square inch of the interior of the chapel is covered in mosaic. There is a solid cross mounted on the east wall. At its base are nativity scenes. The predominant colour is the cobalt blue typical of the stained glass in Chartres cathedral. The vaulted roof is decorated with tens of thousands of shards of broken crockery.

shrine key

nativity mosaic

A close up of a nativity scene, in tiny fragments of crockery and glass.

next (the chapel 2)

previous

back to list

2001-8 All pictures and text are copyright
the joy of shards Mosaics Resource